The following are the summary highlights from Dr. Youngberg’s DVD series “12 Weeks to Wellness”. Each of the 12 chapters of his new book “Hello Healthy” further expand on each of the DVD video presentations.
DVD #1 Optimizing Your Genetic Potential
Are There Holes In Your Genes? Reaching Your Full Genetic Potential
Highlights from Hello Healthy Chapter 1
- The environment in which you live, the choices you make, and the habits you form all greatly affect how your genes function.
- The function of your genes and their expression can be changed. You can actually turn off many of your bad genes and turn on your good genes.
- Family history is not the most important factor in determining your risk of disease. In fact, it is one of the least important.
- Transformational change can take place in your health by implementing appropriate lifestyle and nutritional strategies.
- Your exposome is all the things in your environment that influence genetic expression. It’s the choices you make, your lifestyle, what you eat, drink, think, and do.
- It is never too late to begin making changes that will transform your health.
- At least 80 percent of your diet should come from whole plant-based foods.
- Your choices matter. Everything depends on the right action of the will.
One of the most powerful tools to evaluate and lower your health risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer’s, strokes, heart attacks, autoimmune disease, and cancer is to find out which genetic mutations you have. Many people still think that there is nothing they can do about gene mutations. The good news is that gene mutations DO NOT determine our risk of disease unless we let them! That is right, by knowing what gene mutations we have we can get a head start and take advantage of strategies to neutralize the otherwise damaging effect of our gene mutations. To properly evaluate your genetic risk factors, I strongly recommend going online and ordering a saliva gene profile from www.23andme.com. As this is a saliva test it can be ordered directly by any individual and without a doctors official request or signature.
Click here to find out more information on how to do this!
You can also watch my YouTube video presentation on Gene Management and Nutrigenomics by clinking on this link or copying and pasting the URL link into your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE8ll0K1g9g
DVD #2 Exercise & Diet: How can we optimize our metabolism
Calories In, Calories Out
Highlights from Hello Healthy Chapter 2
- Exercise done properly can powerfully change how you feel, improve your mood, and significantly decrease your cravings for snacks and excess calories.
- There is an obvious and increasing international problem with obesity associated with poor diet and lack of exercise.
- When considering calories eaten versus calories burned off-diet is much more effective in addressing weight loss than is exercise.
- Good habits can push out bad habits.
- Regular exercise can reduce your risk of having a heart attack by 50 percent.
- Wellness depends on developing a plan and following it consistently day in and day out.
- Sometimes you have to say no to things you really want to do in order to say yes to things you know are much more important.
Natural Calm– Helps with crams.
Vitalzyme– A systemic enzyme, helps heal soft tissue injuries and inflammatory conditions.
Lipoic Acid– Exercise booster
Coenzyme Q-10-Exercise booster.
DVD #3 Optimizing Circulation and Heart Health
Matters of the Heart: Optimizing Circulation and Heart Health
Highlights from Hello Healthy Chapter 3
- You can’t have good health without good circulation.
- Exercise causes the muscles to act like mini-pumps, helping the heart move blood around the body.
- A traditional lipid profile addresses only about 40 percent of the risk factors for a heart attack or stroke.
- Wellness means more than simply being fit.
- Advanced cardiac lab test such as the Hunter Heart Profile helps identify the 60 percent of risk factors for heart attack and stroke not addressed by the traditional lipid profile.
- There is a definite link between systemic inflammation and cardiac disease.
- Heart disease can be reversed.
- A comprehensive wellness program including a plant-based diet, daily exercise, and appropriate supplements can result in dramatically reducing inflammation and risk factors for cardiac disease.
- Processed meats, refined grains, refined sweets, and diet sodas are the main dietary culprits in causing increased systemic inflammation.
Supplements for Heart Health
Sunlight, Vitamin D, and Health DVD#4
Here Comes the Sun!
Highlights from Hello Healthy Chapter 4
- Pure, simple sunlight is like a miracle “drug” that can tremendously increase your health and wellness.
- Insufficient Vitamin D is a widespread, ongoing health problem across all demographic groups.
- Lack of sunlight exposure can be the reason you are sad, irritable, sleep poorly, suffer fatigue, and crave carbohydrates.
- Thirty to sixty minutes of daily exposure to sunlight promotes physical and psychological wellness. During maximum sun intensity between 10am and 4pm, limit your sun exposure to be between 15 and 20 minutes.
- The “Sun Shadow Standard” is a guide for the time of the day that sunlight is intense enough to generate Vitamin D in the skin.
- Optimal levels of vitamin D in the blood have more power to prevent canter than cigarette smoking has the power to cause cancer.
- More than 30% of all cancers could be eliminated by optimizing our levels of Vitamin D.
- The average child, teenager, and adult is Vitamin D deficient, and more than 80% of individuals have inadequate levels of Vitamin D to optimize health.
- The good news is that no one needs to stay Vitamin D deficient. We can all optimize our level of Vitamin D.
Vitamin D Supplements
Increasing blood levels of Vitamin D may significantly lower risk of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure and overall immune health.
DVD #5 Optimizing Digestion for Health and Healing
It’s a Gut Feeling
Highlights form Hello Healthy Chapter 5
- The food we consume provides the building blocks for every physical and mental function of our bodies. That’s why optimizing digestion is such a critical wellness strategy.
- More than 80 percent of human illness can be healed naturally by the body, but only if the proper healing strategies are followed.
- Poor digestion can affect our emotions.
- Most people should eat two or three meals a day with four or five hours between meals.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
- Drinking at least six glasses of water daily is a major step towards being healthy. But drinking with meals is not the best way to stay hydrated.
- Long term use of acid-blocking medications can increase the risk of bone fractures more than 400 percent.
- Minerals, especially magnesium, deficiency is very common and powerfully promotes our risk for developing many health problems, including depression, anxiety, diabetes, headaches, heart disease, muscle cramps, and constipation.
- Good health is important but not merely as an end in itself. It is important because it allows us to live a life filled with loving, growing, relationships with God, family and friends.
- Refined and processed foods account for more than half of the calories consumed by Americans; dairy and animal foods make up more than 40 percent; and only 7 percent comes form whole, plant based foods- fruits, vegetables and legumes.
- Ideally, at least 80 percent of your diet should be whole, plant-based foods. Refined starches should not make up more than 10 percent of your diet, and animal products less than 8 percent.
- Eating lots of vegetables, either raw or cooked, can reduce cancer by 50 percent.
Supplements for Digestion
Gentian and Skullcap
DVD #6 Stress, Emotions, Food, Adrenals, Caffeine, and Blood Sugars
Stressed Out: Stress, Emotions & Adrenal Fatigue
Highlights from Hello Healthy Chapter 6
- There is a close connection between the body and the mind. What affects one also affects the other.
- Passive stress is bad for your health; active stress can be good for you. When you have a health problem, just waiting to see what happens causes passive stress. Active stress is taking steps to understand the problem and do whatever you can to improve it.
- Stress management techniques can actually “turn on” disease preventing genes and “turn off” genes that promote disease.
- Stressful situation have the potential to dramatically increase blood sugars but can also cause unhealthful, low blood sugars.
- A four-hour Glucose Tolerance Test is a great way to evaluate your tendency to both high and low blood sugars and whether your adrenal glands are stressed or fatigued.
- Restoring the inner self through mental, spiritual and physical rejuvenation enhances vitality and health.
- Stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine are effective short-term solutions for stress and adrenal fatigue, but with regular use over months and years, they are a disaster to your physical and emotional health.
- A regular, balanced schedule for eating, sleeping and other activities reduces stress and promotes overall health.
Adrenal fatigue can occur from prolonged stress. A great way to test for it is through a 4 hour glucose tolerance test. The test measures blood sugars at fasting, one, two, three and four hours after a sugar drink that contains 75 grams of glucose is consumed. Individuals with adrenal fatigue will have either high or normal blood sugar tests initially but then have large drops in blood sugars later in the test. Furthermore, testing insulin blood levels and cortisol stress hormone blood levels are a great way to determine how well your body’s hormonal regulation of metabolism is working. This is a helpful test in that it provides insight into what is happening in your body and what key strategies you need to take to restore your health.
Licorice Root Liquid
Adrenal Young V
DVD #7 Attitudes and Health Risk
Easy Tests and Effective Answers
Positively Healthy: Attitudes and Healing
Highlights from Hello Healthy Chapter 7
- Hostility is defined not just by aggressive actions and the emotion of anger, but also by the attitude of cynicism and distrust.
- Improving our diet is a powerful and effective way to improve our attitudes and our overall emotional health.
- Attitudes alter how our genes function and therefore greatly affect our potential for healing.
- Attitude is a choice. Despite our temperament, we can choose how to respond to various situations.
- What goes on in the mind has a huge impact on our body.
- Emotional isolation is one of the most powerful predictors of poor health and decreased lifespan.
- The opposite of hostility is forgiveness. As we experience receiving and giving forgiveness, hostility melts away.
- A forgiving spirit can change your life.
- We have all done things in our past that have hurt or damaged someone else. Why not ask for forgiveness?
- If someone has hurt or damaged us, why not forgive them? Forgiveness doesn’t remove the guilt of the offender. More important, it removes the ongoing trauma that unresolved hostility brings to our own body, mind and soul.
- The “Zone of Rumination” describes the seething feelings of frustration and resentment so many of us carry around with us as we continue to mull over some hurtful situation or individual from the past.
- What can we do in the next twenty-four hours to bring resolution and closure to conflicts from our past?
Preventing & Reversing